#4 - Orange Côte d'Ivoire
February 2017 update
Founded in 1996, Orange Côte d’Ivoire (Orange CI) became a market leader in the telecommunications sector and now has around 11 million customers. The company also comes first in terms of innovation. After seeing to the country-wide development of 2G and 3G+ technologies, Orange CI implemented 4G. In the field of mobile banking, Orange CI led the way with Orange Money and boasted more than 4.4 million subscribers as of 2016, with more than 8 billion CFA Francs’ worth of transactions per day. Orange is one of the top technology operators in Ivory Coast, a country driven by technology through the Internet and mobile devices. Orange's presence in the country is one that is influential and growing, with more than 130 sales outlets spread all over the territory, as well as 18 million customers.
In 2016, Orange CI acquired 2 operators: Cellcom in Liberia and Airtel in Burkina Faso. This transaction took place as part of Orange’s international development strategy, which aims to step up its growth by expanding into new markets with strong growth potential. The acquisition will enable Orange to bolster its position in Africa whilst enabling Orange CI to cement its regional standing.
85 percent of Orange is owned by France Telecom and the other 15 percent is owned by the Sifcom group. In 2002, following the establishment of Orange under French law, Orange SA France Telecom decided to change its name to “Orange” in order for all the mobile subsidiaries to benefit from the company's expertise reputation.